Split Urad Dal
Urad Dal is used for various purposes besides retaining the skins and also has a strong flavor. It provides nutrients, such as protein, fat, and carbohydrates, and is a rich source of proteins like iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and B vitamins.
This helps boost the energy levels in the body and keeps you active. It is a protein-rich dal for vegetarians and for strong bones and a healthy body, have urad dal. It is good for digestion and also prevents constipation. It also has various beauty benefits. It is free of synthetic chemicals and pesticides.
Benefits of Split Urad Dal
- Urad dal is a rich source of both insoluble and soluble fiber, which helps in improving digestion.
- It is responsible for stimulating peristaltic motion and bulk up the stool in the intestine.
- It is the best remedy for diarrhea, constipation, cramps, or even bloating.
1. Recipe (split urad dal curry):
- 1 cup urad dal split black gram
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic finely chopped or minced
- 1 -2 green chillis finely chopped or minced
- 1-inch ginger peeled finely chopped or minced
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped or pureed
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ⅛ tsp asafetida optional
- 1 -1¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- 4 -5 cups water
- For Tempering:
- 1 tsp oil or ghee
- 1 -2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 dry red chili
- Steps of making curry:
- Wash and soak split urad dal in 2 cups of warm water for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the soaked dal with the water into a pressure cooker. Add turmeric powder.
- Close the pressure cooker properly. Place it over medium heat.
- Let the dal cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Allow the pressure cooker to cool down before opening the lid.
- In another saucepan, heat oil or ghee over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to pop, add cumin seeds.
- Add asafetida and onion and stir fry till it becomes light brown.
- Add garlic and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add green chilies and ginger. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add the tomato and salt.
- Mix well, cover the pan and allow the tomato to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked urad dal with the water and also the remaining water.
- Mash the dal lightly with a masher for a creamier texture.
- Mix well. Let it simmer over low to medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Remember to stir it frequently so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add garam masala and mix well.
- Steps of the Tempering:
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee or oil in a small pan and place it over low heat.
- Add sliced garlic and stir fry till it begins to turn brown.
- Add the red chili, stir fry it and remove the pan off the heat.
- Add the tempering to the urad dal or curry.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve it hot with rice or roti or naan.
2. Recipe (split urad dal Laddu):
- 1 cup urad dal (black gram)
- ⅓ Cup sugar.
- ⅓ cup ghee at room temperature
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms (Choti elaichi)
Roasting And Preparing Urad Dal Flour:
- Heat a thick-bottomed pan or kadhai on a low flame. Then add 1 cup urad dal in it.
- Keep the flame on low or sim and begin to roast the dal.
- Continue to stir often while roasting. Keep on roasting and stirring for even browning and cooking.
- The dal needs to be golden and become aromatic.
- Keep on stirring without a break once the dal begins to get light golden.
- When the urad dal becomes golden, then cool them in the pan itself or you can remove the dal on a plate and let it cool.
- Once the urad dal has become warm or cooled down, add them to a grinder jar. Also, add cardamom seeds removed from 3 to 4 green cardamom pods.
- Grind to a fine powder.
- Now take the urad dal flour in a fine sieve.
- Begin to sift the flour on a plate or tray or a large bowl or pan.
- Keep the sifted urad dal flour aside.
· Grinding Sugar:
- In the same grinder, add 1/3 cup sugar.
- Grind sugar to a fine powder.
Making Urad Dal Laddu:
- Now add the powdered sugar to the urad dal flour and mix very well.
- Now melt 1/3 cup ghee in a pan. You need to melt the ghee and not heat it.
- If adding dry fruits, you can add some sliced or chopped dry fruits at this step and saute them in ghee till they become light golden.
- Add the melted ghee to the urad dal + sugar mixture.
- Mix very well with a spoon.
- The ladoo mixture will have a molten consistency and will be a bit fluid. Now let this mixture cool down at room temperature and let the ghee solidify.
- Once the mixture becomes dense, then you can easily shape the mixture into laddoos.
- Make small to medium-sized urad dal laddoos. From the warmth of your hands, the ladoos will soften while you shape them.
- Prepare ladoos like this with all of the mixtures.
- Finally, urad dal ladoos are ready.
Country of Origin
Region Produced In
Item Package Quantity
While we work to ensure that product information is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our website. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
people are currently looking at this product
Guaranteed Safe Checkout